Learn How to Make a Rag Rug
With Wild Harvest School of Self-Reliance in Yorkshire.
This cosy hearth craft is a traditional skill that is in decline, learn two methods of rag-rugging in our day course. Rag rugging is a no sew craft that makes use of all those clothes that are no good for the charity shop, turning them into beautiful rugs, bags or wall hangings.
On our full day course, held at Wild Harvest Tipis in the rural outskirts. of York, you will learn two methods of rag-rugging. Then after a brief design session (suitable for total beginners) you will begin making your own piece of Heritage. Hessian and tools are provided, just bring a bag of old clothes. You will be notified what type is best before the course.
If it's nice weather we will rag rug outside in the sun. Shady areas are available. If its a chilly day we will rag rug inside the cabin by the wood-burning stove.
Learn the technique of 'Clippy Mat' making plus add in the technique of 'Hooky', choose one or the other or combine them both. in a single work of art. Choose to make a rag rug, cushion cover, a bag, or a wall hanging!
Why Learn Rag-Rugging with Wild Harvest School?
- 17 Years in Business
- Qualified Teacher
- FREE EBooklet 'Introduction to Rag-Rugging' mailed out after the course.
- Highly Reviewed Calm Teaching Environment
- Materials and tools provided
- Easy Free Parking
- Fully Insured
- Proper loo
- Covid Secure Venue (With Visit England and Air Bnb) with covid risk assessments for the venue and activities.
- Learn several methods but practice two in the day course.
- Learn. a little about the History of rag-rugging during the day.
- Wild Harvest has taught for Countryfile, Escape to the Country and Country Living Magazine.
What our rag-rugging course covers...
- History of rag rugging
- Practicing the Clippy method (also known as the proddy or proggy method)
- Practicing the Hooky method.
- Best types of fabric for each method.
- Tools and what you can use instead of buying special tools
- A 15 minute design session to ensure you make the perfect rug for your needs.
- Chatting about other methods around the world for making rugs from rags.
- Hessian for your rug and an explanation of what to look for when sourcing hessian for rag rugging.
- A free e-book all about rag-rugging
Learn How To Make Rag Rugs
With Wild Harvest School of Self-Reliance
Still the most affordable courses around.
One of the longest serving self-sufficiency schools still going.
Di raised her children off-grid in a life of self-sufficiency.